Beef & Vegetable Stew from the Balkans
This Duvec Recipe or Djuvec Recipe is a simple beef stew recipe composed of beef and vegetables. Other variations of this simple stew recipe use different types of meat such as: chicken, pork, lamb or sometimes even fish. Sometimes the meat is omitted completely to create a vegetarian stew.
This simple stew recipe is spiced with paprika plus many other herbs to give it a robust flavour.
The word đuveč, is an earthernware casserole in which this stew was traditionally prepared - so the name of the pot became the name of the stew as well.
The various vegetables combine and transfuse their flavours throughout the stew.
The addition of the rice makes this a complete one-pot meal.
Duvec Recipe - Djuvec Recipe
• 1 cup (225 ml) onions - sliced
• 1 aubergine (eggplant)- washed, peeled and diced
• 3/4 lb (350 g) pumpkin - peeled and cubed
• 2 green peppers - seeded and cubed
• 1 1/2 lb (675 g) boneless beef - cubed
• 5 oz (150 g) long grain rice
• 3 tbsp (45 ml) cooking oil
• 3 cups (750 ml) boiling water
• salt and black pepper
• 1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika
• 2 tomatoes - chopped
1. Prepare all the vegetables as outlined above.
2. Cut the beef into small cubes.
3. Rinse the rice with cold running water in a sieve until the water runs clear. Allow to drain.
4. Heat the cooking oil in a large pan and fry the onion lightly. Add the meat and sear it on all sides.
3. Add the rice, vegetables and the boiling water. Add the seasonings and stir to blend all the ingredients. Cover the pan and over a low heat, simmer the contents for about 30 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes, stir to combine them with the rest of the stew and continue to cook for another 10 minutes.
Yield: Serves 4
Return to Beef Stew Recipes from Duvec Recipe
Go to Simply Stews Home Page